Listed amid the India's most important places for Muslim pilgrims, the Dargah of Sufi saint, Khawaja Muin-uddin Chishti, who came to Ajmer from Persia in 1192, is known as Dargah Sharif or Ajmer Sharif. The shrine was built by Humayun and the gate was added by the Nizam of Hyderabad. The saint’s tomb is in the middle of the second courtyard, it
Ana Sagar & Foy Sagar
By damming the river Luni, this artificial lake was created in the 12 century. The Daulat Bagh, situated on its bank, contains a series of marble pavilions established in 1637 by Shah Jahan. In 1891-1892 A.D., another reservoir was constructed by the Ajmer Municipal Committee. Foy was the Executive Engineer in-charge of the project.
A masterpiece of indo - Islamic architecture, Adhai-din-ka-jhonpra is located on the outskirts of the city just beyond the Dargah. Originally, this place was the Sanskrit college built within a temple. In 1193 A.D., Mohammed Ghauri ruled Ajmer and converted the structure into a mosque by adding a seven-arched wall in front of the pillared hall in
Also known as Garh Beetli, Taragarh Fort is a circumvallation of the crest of the hill that overhangs the town of Ajmer and commands a spectacular view of it from every point. The space in between the walls of this fort was about 32 hectares with several tanks. A company of Native Infantry occupied it from 1818 to 1832 A.D. In 1832 A.D., the fort
Mayo College & Museum
Lord Mayo, the viceroy of India, in 1870 A.D., placed a proposal to set up an institution in Ajmer for the education of princes and sons of nobility. Constructed in white marble and Saracenic style, the foundation stone of this college was laid n 1878 A.D. and inaugurated by the Maruis of Dufferin in 1885 A.D. The institution had the distinction
One of the sacred lakes of the Hindus, Pushkar lake is located in the town of Pushkar in the Ajmer district. Surrounded by 52 bathing ghats, the lake finds its mention on coins as early as the 4th century BC. In Hindu scriptures, the lake has been described as “Tirtha Raj” that means “the king of pilgrimage sights”.